Back of the Net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minor League Classification

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Draft Qualifications

Minor League Classification I_vote_lcap63%Minor League Classification I_vote_rcap 63% 
[ 5 ]
Minor League Classification I_vote_lcap37%Minor League Classification I_vote_rcap 37% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 8

Minor League Classification Empty Minor League Classification

Post  Knucklepuck Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 am

I was generating the non-eligible Major League Draft list and I have come across a few players so far that have played just one game which would make them eliglible. I am thinking that most owners would prefer that they be eligible for the minor league draft rather then the major league draft so they can be kept without wasting a bench spot if they are not playing significant games or minutes.

So I will put it up for a vote before we get into the possibility of drafting those players.

Knucklepuck
Admin

https://backofthenetdynasty.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Minor League Classification Empty Re: Minor League Classification

Post  Knucklepuck Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:17 pm

And remember, I am not saying that after the draft a player would need 10 NHL games to be called up, just during the draft.

And the example would be, if Matt Duchene had only played one game last year and was slated to only play 40 games this year...would you rather use a bench spot on him or have him in your minor systems were you would be able to evaluate him over 3 years without taking up that spot.

Once the draft is over, anyone with a game worth of experience could be added but I rather avoid having a slightly watered down minor league draft because half the people managed a one-two game call up at the end of last season.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Minor League Classification Empty Minor League Draft Start Time

Post  Knucklepuck Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 am

When would managers like to start this?

I am thinking if we do it in tandem with the Major League Draft than managers may be able to better prepare for the later rounds as to whom they expect to be called up and what positional needs they may want to address over others.

If managers decide in tandem, than my poll question also needs to be addressed promptly...5 managers out of 12 is not sufficient for me to make a judgment call.

Thank you

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sportsjunky Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:50 am

I say start the minor league draft as sooner as soon as possible.

Knucklepuck wrote:When would managers like to start this?

I am thinking if we do it in tandem with the Major League Draft than managers may be able to better prepare for the later rounds as to whom they expect to be called up and what positional needs they may want to address over others.

If managers decide in tandem, than my poll question also needs to be addressed promptly...5 managers out of 12 is not sufficient for me to make a judgment call.

Thank you

Sportsjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:05 pm

Get it rollin!

Major Lee Giphted

http://www.hockeycalgary.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:54 pm

For the three that have vote for 1+ game any general reason for the vote? And once we get this decided, I can open up the AHL draft since there does not appear to be any comments of resistance for that.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:56 pm

I think it is best to get it rolling when the one draft is at the top end and the other draft is at the bottom so that it promotes activity.

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Minor League Classification Empty why I voted for 1+

Post  Kerry Fraser's Hair Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Just for ease of research. I have a pretty good idea whether a guy got called up last year or not. But whether he played 9 or 10 games would be added time in my life to check into all the guys I might be interested. With the 1+ rule...I can rule guys out immediately.

Kerry Fraser's Hair

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Kerry Fraser's Hair wrote:Just for ease of research. I have a pretty good idea whether a guy got called up last year or not. But whether he played 9 or 10 games would be added time in my life to check into all the guys I might be interested. With the 1+ rule...I can rule guys out immediately.

Well if laziness is the only problem I could post the list off the top 100 prospects and which side of the line they would fall. Wink

I have a few alternative options if it does end up as a close vote and I can list those off as well.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kerry Fraser's Hair Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm easy whichever way you want.

Kerry Fraser's Hair

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:43 pm

When are we starting this portion of the draft?

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Minor League Classification Empty If a player has played 10 games

Post  Kerry Fraser's Hair Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:44 pm

If we go with the 10 game rule what would the 10 game mark be, major or minor?

Kerry Fraser's Hair

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:14 am

10 game in the NHL to be Major, 9 games or less to be in the AHL.

Another one of my options would be to go with that during the AHL Draft. Once we have completed the AHL draft, return to having 1+ game for the NHL draft. I am thinking that might be a good compromise?

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sportsjunky Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 am

So if they haven't played any games in the NHL then the amount of AHL games doesn't matter? correct

Knucklepuck wrote:10 game in the NHL to be Major, 9 games or less to be in the AHL.

Another one of my options would be to go with that during the AHL Draft. Once we have completed the AHL draft, return to having 1+ game for the NHL draft. I am thinking that might be a good compromise?

Sportsjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sportsjunky Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:35 am

I voted for the 1+ games just because I don't like the fact that if a player is on in NHL roster he should be able to be stashed on a minor league roster. I like the idea that a owner has to make a decision on a player once he is called up for a certain amount of games... stay that I guess I should have voted for the 10+ games noit the 1+ game.. so eithe rway is fine with me.

I don't like that we can keep a guy on the minor league roster for 3 years once he gets called up to the NHL. I would prefer once a guys reaches say 50 gmaes(just a number) he should have to be called up the the major league roster.. I know guys don't like that but at the very least if a player plays over 50 games(agian just a number he should have to be called up the following year & not wait for 3 years. Maybe I'm not totally understanding the 3 year rule but anyway whatever you guys want is fine with me.

Kerry Fraser's Hair wrote:Just for ease of research. I have a pretty good idea whether a guy got called up last year or not. But whether he played 9 or 10 games would be added time in my life to check into all the guys I might be interested. With the 1+ rule...I can rule guys out immediately.

Sportsjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Sportsjunky wrote:I voted for the 1+ games just because I don't like the fact that if a player is on in NHL roster he should be able to be stashed on a minor league roster. I like the idea that a owner has to make a decision on a player once he is called up for a certain amount of games... stay that I guess I should have voted for the 10+ games noit the 1+ game.. so eithe rway is fine with me.

I don't like that we can keep a guy on the minor league roster for 3 years once he gets called up to the NHL. I would prefer once a guys reaches say 50 gmaes(just a number) he should have to be called up the the major league roster.. I know guys don't like that but at the very least if a player plays over 50 games(agian just a number he should have to be called up the following year & not wait for 3 years. Maybe I'm not totally understanding the 3 year rule but anyway whatever you guys want is fine with me.

Simple explanation for 3 years:

Unless you are a top three pick the likelihood that you will play in your first season is low. Second year all drafted players would probably have a better shot depending on age. Third year you figure everyone you drafted would be up in the NHL getting their feet wet. Fourth Year all these players would have to be on the NHL roster or lose them to Free Agency.

At any point during the three years they can be called up up into service. Once they are brought up they cannot be sent back down unless their NHL club sends them back down.

I think the system is very clear cut, especially when future prospects will only be available through the entry draft or they play an NHL game. Hence, during this year only 36 prospects will be in the AHL since there is no longer bidding to back fill for call-ups. When we hold next years entry draft 60 prospects will be in the AHL. It also will eliminate the Sean Avery scenario of stashing an obvious NHLer in the minors.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Oh there you go blasting me again! Avery, Benn and Flesichmann were all legitimate AHL'ers.

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Post  Sportsjunky Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

Okay, I thought once a player got called up that's whe the 3 years things started. Thanks for the explanation. I honestly didn;t even read it that closely.. I thought it was the same rule as last year with the added time limit of 3 years.
Anyway I change my vote to 10+ games.
[
Simple explanation for 3 years:

Unless you are a top three pick the likelihood that you will play in your first season is low. Second year all drafted players would probably have a better shot depending on age. Third year you figure everyone you drafted would be up in the NHL getting their feet wet. Fourth Year all these players would have to be on the NHL roster or lose them to Free Agency.

At any point during the three years they can be called up up into service. Once they are brought up they cannot be sent back down unless their NHL club sends them back down.

I think the system is very clear cut, especially when future prospects will only be available through the entry draft or they play an NHL game. Hence, during this year only 36 prospects will be in the AHL since there is no longer bidding to back fill for call-ups. When we hold next years entry draft 60 prospects will be in the AHL. It also will eliminate the Sean Avery scenario of stashing an obvious NHLer in the minors.[/quote]

Sportsjunky

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm

I never read Stephen's stuff either obviously lol!

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:25 pm

Major Lee Giphted wrote:Oh there you go blasting me again! Avery, Benn and Flesichmann were all legitimate AHL'ers.

I am not saying he wasn't...what you did was within the rules...but now we are closing up that loophole along with a few others to ensure good game-play. I think the three year turnover will also help improve the use of waivers which became pretty much worthless under the old system.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Leave more loopholes!! It makes it easier for me Crying or Very sad

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Post  Knucklepuck Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 pm

I have posted the rule amendment in the gameplay rules. The AHL draft will be for players with 9 games or fewer. During this time, players being selected in the NHL draft must have 10 or more NHL games played. Once the AHL draft has concluded, managers may resume selection of any players that have 1 or more NHL games played.

Taylor suggested that the AHL draft be on opposed to the NHL draft, so I shall open up the AHL draft today and make my picks when I am on the clock for both the NHL and AHL to keep the juxtaposition in place.

Knucklepuck
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:45 pm

Woooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooo keep on drafting here we go with the Minors!!!!!!!

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Post  Kerry Fraser's Hair Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Anyone text Alfie to let him know the Minor draft is going? He's not at work this week so I won't see him.

And is it 3 rounds or 4?

Kerry Fraser's Hair

Back to top Go down

Post  Major Lee Giphted Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:04 pm

I texted him, he said he needs to go home and look over who he would pick. affraid

Major Lee Giphted

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next